It is our hope that with Adventures Missions and Retreats Ministries, individuals and organizations will find a freshly innovative take on the concept of missions. In partnering with AMR, organizations find themselves with a very accessible way to actually go and serve, not just once, but by building a lifelong relationship. When a church or organization commits its time and resources to another village or community and travels there to know the people, to live with them for a while, to help in meeting their greatest needs, then it is no longer just a mission; it’s a relationship. In partnering with AMR, you are opening the door to life-changing, culture-changing relationships.
AMR core tenets are to identify, develop and partner with local indigenous community leadership.
We learned quickly that we can only be as effective as the leaders we work with. Another core principle is to “enable the self-developing capabilities of the people we serve.” In order to do that, we’re careful not to do for Costa Rican communities what they can do for themselves. Said another way… we will measure our success not by what we do, but by what they do for themselves. That, in our view, is true development.
This strategy extends through the deployment of the 5 impact areas for every community.
- Spiritual Development
Each year AMR Ministries continues to advance its mission to identify, develop and partner with local indigenous community leadership. Through our health, housing, education, micro-enterprise and spiritual development programs we have seen many lives changed for the better.
AMR mission efforts have enjoyed great success in the past year. This year with your help and the help of others, the following accomplishments were made in our focus community of El Llanito, Costa Rica:
- New roof for the Community Salon/School building. (this was huge and had an immediate impact of bringing the community together for church services, community events, meetings and most importantly, it protected the students and teachers from the harsh sun and rain conditions they had been exposed to and provided for a better learning.) The impact of this accomplishment will have a positive impact on this community for years to come.
- New School Uniforms and school supplies for 65 children. (we under estimated the amount of community appreciation that this accomplishment would bring. The Serve One team was publicly honored by the community for this gift, as it represented a sense of pride for both parents and students alike to be able to have the children attend school in the proper clothing.)
- New Kitchen and Lunchroom complete with appliances, cooking and serving ware. (prior to having a kitchen located in the school, the locals would prepare the meals for 65 children at home in large cook pots, then carry them ¾ of a mile to the school, rain or shine. Try carrying a 5 gallon pot of hot stew on your head, in a thunderstorm on a muddy road.)
- Sports equipment including basketball goal, basketballs and soccer balls. (if it bounces, they will kick it, Costa Rican children are much like those anywhere else in the world, active and ready to play, the donation of several balls brought smiles and lots of sweat.)
- 20 pairs of soccer shoes for the school soccer team. (many of the students were playing in the only pair of shoes they had (worn out school dress shoes) the donation of real soccer shoes were greatly appreciated)
- School Desk and Lunchroom table resurfacing and repair. (in the harsh environment (before the new roof) the furniture in the school took a real beating from the elements, the new surfaces and repairs help to facilitate a better learning environment)
- A week long Sports Camp. (the community had a great turnout as volunteers held a week long basketball camp in the Salon. )
- Vacation Bible School. (volunteers from the United States and Costa Rica joined together to host a Vacation Bible School that will be long remembered as the Gospel of Jesus Christ was shared and several eternal decisions were made! )
- Teaching Aids and Classroom Supplies. (unlike in the USA, the teachers in Costa Rica do not have easy access to the latest in teaching aids and classroom supplies are rationed out sparingly, your gifts helped to facilitate the education process and take it to new levels in this community)
- Ceiling Fans for the classrooms and lunch room. (daily temperatures in the 90’s and humidity in the 90’s makes for a very muggy environment without air conditioning, getting the air moving within the classrooms brought much needed relief to both students and teachers)
- Christmas Fiesta for the school and community where gifts are distributed to each student and the Gospel of Jesus is shared. (Celebration of the birth of Jesus and sharing his story is the focus here. More questions answered and eternal decisions made! To God goes the Glory.)
- Graduation Ceremony. (We are excited to have hosted this very important event for the teachers, students and parents.)
- Dental Hygiene and Education Program for the school children and teachers. ( a regularly coordinated visit by local dentists that bring toothbrushes and toothpaste for the students along with an educational video helps to overcome the lack of convenient transportation. Dental hygiene education is crucial for the health of the community.)
- Spiritual Development with the distribution of Spanish Bibles and Proclaimers (a digital audio bible that runs on solar and cranking power). (Getting God’s word on a daily basis is the key to having a long lasting relationship with HIM. By establishing bible study groups and with the help of the Proclaimers Audio Bible in Spanish, we overcome the problems of illiteracy and language barriers)
- Complete Sound system with microphones to be used by the community for meetings, church and school events. (You have to be hearers of HIS words before you can be a doer. The donation of the complete sound system helped to facilitate teaching and improved the worship experience)
The goal of AMR Ministries is to continue to make a difference in the lives of people that cannot help themselves. With the help of donations from supporters such as you we will continue to see improvements in these poverty stricken areas around the world.
Why does this ministry need your support? As an independent, non-denominational ministry, we do not receive any financial support from a denomination, church or other parent organization. Throughout the history of this Adventure, Missions and Retreats Ministry, we have existed solely on membership revenue and private donations.
We could not accomplish what we do without your support. For those in need, Adventures, Missions and Retreats Ministry currently either gives for free or charges a greatly reduced booking fee for our programs. The difference is covered through generous donations. The more donors like you that are involved, the more people are able to afford a life changing and relationship building experience. Supporting this Adventure, Missions and Retreats Ministry is tax deductible and easy. You may click here to get started. or you may TEXT the word “SERVE” to 817-330-8609 and follow the text response instructions.
“From the perspective of the gospel, fundraising is not a response to a crisis. Fundraising is, first and foremost, a form of ministry. It is a way of announcing our vision and inviting other people into our mission. Vision and mission are so central to the life of God’s people that without vision we perish and without mission we lose our way. Vision brings together needs and resources to meet those needs. Vision also shows us new directions and opportunities for our mission. Vision gives us courage to speak when we might want to remain silent.”
Henri Nouwen The Spirituality of Fundraising
Thank you again for your generous support of our efforts to “enable the self-developing capabilities of the people we serve.”
Serve One Another in Love,
Scott & Staci Huggins
We share a heart for the communities of Costa Rica and a passion to build lasting relationships with the people we encounter there in an effort to help spur them on to change. “For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:13
For more information, Please contact us
[contact-form to=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ subject=’Adventures Missions and Retreats – Missions Contact Form’][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Cell Phone’ type=’text’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]